jueves, 23 de marzo de 2017

When a friend leaves us behind

My intention with this blog is to keep it strictly for testing related topics, but today I want to make a pause on that to pay tribute to a friend of mine, I'm not the best writter around, but this post is truly heartfelt.

On October, 2008 I was a recent graduate looking for a job, didn't have any previous experience except for my "experiments" with Java, C++, C# during college, and like most I wasn't really considering a career in software testing, my interest was in SW development.

One day I saw a job ad from a company looking for trainees for multiple testing projects, got interviewed at some point of mid-October by the company's manager who was re-routing candidates to the test leads, I got my next interview with a person that would end up being key in my career, her name was Renata Espinoza.

I passed my interview with her and was selected with other 5 people for a training to get into the 2 positions she had open in her team, my best friend who I met at that training and is still my best friend today and I were the chosen ones. On October 29th, 2008, I started writing my testing story.

Renata probably wasn't a Rockstar/Ninja/Hardcore/Super Saiyan God level tester, but she had great softskills and was a great coach, to be honest I didn't like at all to stay on testing as a career path at that time, I desperately wanted to transition into a development role, but as the days passed and I started learning more about testing and its importance thanks to her, I stayed in testing, and plan to stay in the testing world for many years to come.

My first project there was under scrum with a very demanding client, being just out of school I didn't know a damn thing about any agile methodology, but thanks to her I found my way through, my client sent me a message thanking me for all that I had done and telling me she was impressed with the job I did being only a trainee, I thanked her and immediately reached to Renata to thank her for all that she taught me during that project, I had multiple opportunities to do different things, including my 1st test automation project during the short time she was my boss at that company.

On August, 2009 I left that company, with less than 1 year of experience I was hired as a Semi-Sr test engineer at some other place where I had better salary & benefits, since my then-girlfriend(now the most supportive wife ever) and I were planning to get married I couldn't let that opportunity pass. On my last day I thanked her a lot for all that she did for me and told her that if I had gotten ranked as Semi-Sr was thanks to what I learned from her, I remember she told me that all that I needed was a push, she gave me her blessing, wished me luck and hugged me, I never had the chance to work with her again, but the lessons I learned with her still serve me on my day-to-day.

Yesterday, Renata, that great 1st boss I had passed away after battling with cancer for sometime, leaving behind a mourning family and a lot of alumnis like me that got an opportunity thanks to her and will miss her everyday from now on.

Goodbye my friend, and may you rest in peace for eternity.

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario